Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Chocolate Lava Cake with Berries...aka Low Carb Dream!

Its been way too long since my last post. It isn't that I haven't been cooking because I have...a lot actually! I just haven't had time to post recipes and talk about my day lately. I am seriously ready for summer! Today has been our first day of Spring Break and it has given me a taste of what is to come in about 2 more months...I can't wait to hit the gym in the mornings around 9 then come home lay out in the sun for a few hours then cook a healthy dinner and dessert! Summer time is the best!!!!
Today I got up and ran tons of errands then came home to cook a meal for my friends who just had a baby. I made them some Baked Ziti, Garlic Bread, Caesar Salad, and for dessert Peanut Butter Snicker Brownies with Peanut Butter Icing. None of which is low carb but all of which is delicious! After I dropped their meal off I came home and cooked a very yummy and healthy meal for Brock and I. We had baked chicken and steamed broccoli....then dessert...to die for amazingly delicious Chocolate Lava Cake!!!!
So I don't have pictures of the Chicken or Broccoli but they are super simple to make and very healthy. For the chicken I just make them in little foil packets. Take a piece of foil and place a chicken breast in the middle. Cover with your choice of seasoning. We really like the spicy chicken seasoning. I sprinkle that on the chicken breast then take a tablespoon of butter and cut it in three slices and place it on top of the chicken breast with seasoning. Seal up the packet and bake on 425 for 30 minutes.
Walmart has started selling fresh broccoli in steamable bags! Its amazing! Poke a few holes in the bag with a fork, place the bag on a plate in the microwave for 3 minutes and bam...its ready! Perfect meal in about 35 minutes! :)
Dessert.....the good stuff! I am obsessed with reading other food blogs. One blog that I am loving right now is All day I dream of food. The lady who write this blog is a diabetic and has to eat low carb/ sugar free.  As sad as it is to have that disease she has totally made lemonade out of her lemons in life and has become an amazing cook for others who are diabetic or that follow a low carb sugar free diet. You should all definitely check out her blog! This dessert is one of her recipes. The only thing I might try next time is adding a little bit more splenda. She uses granulated erythritol and I substituted it for Splenda...I think I should have put more because it was kinda bittersweet. It was delicious but could have been sweeter. :)
Chocolate Lava Cake:
Ingredients:
4 tbsp of butter, plus more for the ramekins
6 squares of Lindt 85% cacao chocolate
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp of granulated erythritol (I'd say 2 tbsp of splenda)
1 tsp of flour
Directions:
Melt butter and chocolate together in a small bowl set on top of a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth.  On a medium size bowl beat egg, egg yolk, and splenda together until light in color and thickened. Add chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Stir in the flour. Divide the mixture between the ramekins, bake for 6 to 7 minutes. Sides will be set but center will soft. Invert onto plate and let sit for 10 seconds or so. Then lift ramekin. Cake will fall out onto plate! Serve immediately with whipped topping and/or fresh berries.

0 comments: